The following photos are of my 42 foot Historic submarine replica project. For more detailed information return to: www.s44.org.

 

This shot is from January 2002. It shows all the wood pieces that go into just one frame. Each piece has to be measured and cut out. Then I have to predrill for each screw and epoxy it all together. Each frame is different and there are 21 frames! However 6 of those frame are temporary and will not require gluing.

*************************************************************************

Here is a shot from late February 2002. Instead of using a strongback like most boat builders I use a mounting system that requires a level on the waterline and a 1/4" hole at the centerline. If you can see through all the holes your frames are true! At this stage I have 16 of 21 frame built and mounted. You can notice the 4 pressboard frames that will be removed later. Also because of the inward curve of things this hull is being built right side up. When the sides are done I will flip it over, do the bottom then flip it back and do the deck.

*************************************************************

For March I finished all the frames and mounted them with temporaries and also attached the sheerclamp. In March, April & May I built a small Commercial fishing catamaran. June - August I worked full time at my business on the lake in Atascadero. September I sanded my house down to bare wood and with help painted it. Finally October rolls around and S-44 (R) is my full time project!

**************************************************************

This photo of the stern is from October 2002. You can see the laminated chinelog (with all the clamps attached) that connects the flat superstructure to the curved cylinder. You can also see where I've started to rough in the hidden outboard well tunnel.

****************************************************************************

This is a bow shot from October. Notice the upper sheer clamp where the deck has to get wide for the deck gun - it is 4 laminations of 1/4" thick strips of 1 1/2" clear pine in order to get it to bend. The chine logs on the waterline were a lot easier. On the center laminated stringer you can notice some of the reverse curve. This reverse curve proved very hard to fair in a couple days later. Normally I use a power planer to shape the stringers, sheer clamps and chine logs. That reverse curve made it so I could not use a planer. I ended up making a guide bar for a small high speed grinder and sanded the reverse sections true!

**********************************************************************

Here is the same view one month later. I have the superstructure roughed on and you can also notice the built in anchor well on the starboard side - just like a real S - boat. The diving planes will be built after the hull is fiberglassed.

***************************************************************************

Here is a stern shot from the end of November - You can see the shape of the pressure hull (where the stringers are). Keep in mind that it is a replica from the waterline up. If really were to dive that curved pressure hull would continue to curve way down and around but instead I will have a shallow "V" below the waterline. In the center I will have a small viewing chamber attached so children can go below and look at the fish.

*******************************************************************

This is the Starboard aft quarter at the end of November 2002. Notice the stringers in place for the double diagonal cold molding I will be doing to build the "pressure hull".

*************************************************************

Dec 2002. My sister in law Glynis Tinglof lends a hand for the first day of cold molding. We are using 2 layers of diagonally opposed 1/4" plywood in 4" widths. The first layer is attached to the framework with epoxy and counterset screws. The second layer which runs the opposite direction is fastened the same way but uses a lot more epoxy plus extra temporary screws to make sure the 2 sides pull together flush. You can also see the overhang at the waterline that gets trimmed off at a later date.

*******************************************************************

A week later and the rough work on the port side cylinder is done. The excess material still needs trimming. The temporary screws will need removing and filling. Then I get to do a bunch of sanding before fiberglassing. But first I have to do the starboard side! On this and some of the other photos you might notice some blue tarps laying around. It seems there are a lot of leaks in the roof so I keep the boat covered when I am not working on it. Often I just pull off one tarp or a section as I don't need to uncover what I am not work on. But it seems I forget to take it all off when I click a photo real fast!

******************************************************************

January 2003 saw lots of progress including removal of the tempary frames, complete the outboard well, fiberglass the sides and turn the hull upside down. Also - Bircher Arms started work on the deck gun.

Getting ready to flip the hull.

*******************************************************************

 

The work crew after turning the hull upsidedown so I can build the false bottom.

*****************************************************************

Deck gun preassembly.

********************************************************

Continued on Page 2