July 31th 2003

Wow - what a busy couple of months! I had surf board shaper (thanks Mark) do the foam shaping for the diving plane housings. When Mark finished I glassed them and made them fit over the laminated diving planes. They won't actually work but they look like they should. I also completed the con tower and had a huge amount of help putting the sub onto its new trailer. Over 100 people showed up. Probably 80 of you helped carry it. It was a lot of fun and certainly nerve racking for the neighbors who went a little off the deep end with so many cars parked in their neighborhood! We had so much help that I had people telling me later that they showed up to help but couldn't find a parking space. THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!

 

After it was on the trailer and the con tower installed we headed to 1st street. Once there I finished the fiberglass work and painting. Next was to notch the lead, fit it in the floor and then glass it into the hull. After that I (with help once again from my sister-in-law Glynis Tinglof) put the 3 viewing ports in, The deck rails went up after that with my daughter Molly holding wrenches on deck while I tightened up from below. We did the same with the deck cleats before I put the non-skid and final coat of paint on the deck. I must admit I liked the look of the boat a bit more before the rails went on but heck we have to keep everyone on board so the rails are a bit more stout than what the real one had.

 

The water tight hatches were fitted and after installing on a cool evening I did a unintentional pressure test the next day when the sun came out. You see I have not put the forced air or any ventilation ports in yet and when I started to open the hatch there was a "hissing" noise. (I should have stopped then.) As I turned the release lever the rest of the way the hatch shot up a foot or so with a loud "poof". I guess that means that it is air tight! After that bit of fun I built the aluminum ladder that runs down the con tower to the viewing chamber.

 

Next on the list is motor installation, battery and fuel tank installation (figure a week). Then the wiring, lights, switch panels, fans, horns, ventilation and electronics (another week). Then safety gear, sea trials and other fine tuning and outfitting (2 weeks). The only real draw back is I've only got three weeks as I am taking the first week of August off to go to the National Kayak Sprint Champions with my Daughter who is racing the "bantam" class. So the fine tuning will be taking place on the road - first stop Reno for the U.S. Submarine Veterans Convention!

 

I will post photos of the sub when I return from the Kayak Nationals (which will finish up my roll of film).

 

THANKS AGAIN to all of you who helped with the "Big Lift"

 

Lloyd Reeves

 

Link back to S-44 Main Page